Monday, November 10, 2008

Hinoki



The light snow fall this morning was an exquisite sign of the winter weather that has only just begun. This kind of weather means more time spent inside getting warm and nesting.

This weekend I prepared my home for the cold by creating a cozy winter oasis (i.e. - I completed a major house cleaning session). Once I finished my cleaning frenzy, I burned hinoki (Japanese cypress) incense in each room. Then I had a truly aroma-therapeutic moment. I had been cleaning with such gusto that my heart rate was up, but within moments the hinoki incense quickly relaxed me. The woody-scented smoke brought me back to the present moment and created a sense of peace in each room.

Hinoki is a special type of cypress that is used in Japanese bath houses for tub construction. It is prized for its antibacterial properties and its intoxicating woody yet fresh fragrance. If you'd like your very own cold weather oasis to smell like a Japanese mountain bath retreat, you can find hinoki incense (made by Nippon Kodo) in BODY's eco-boutique.

-Keryn

No comments:

Post a Comment